How can we mourn publicly on Shabbos By chanting L'cha Dodi to the tune of Eli Tziyon?
- While the tune is mournful, that does not necessarily constitute "mourning"in a technical sense!
- Many congregations chant the passuk Eicha in the Torah Reading and most of theHaftara of Hazzon to the Megilas Eicha "trop". So what's the big deal doing Lecha Dodi, too?
- Tunes for Lecha Dodi sometimes reflect the season. Therefore the melody isn't in order to mourn but to remind one of the time of year.
- Hazanim already reicte the plea of Bneh Vais'cha kevatchila on Yom Tov to the Eli Tziyyon motif!
- Most Obvious: Shabbos does not start - according to most Pos'qim - untilMizmor Shir or Bor'chu. Therefore, Lecha Dodi precedes Shabbos anyway